Tuesday, May 8, 2012

34 weeks

Gray weighs about four and three fourths pounds this week and has possibly hit the 18 inch mark. His fat layers are filling out and he is becoming more plump. His central nervous system and lungs are continuing to mature, although they are very close to being done developing! If Gray were born this week, there is even a good chance he'd be able to breath on his own already. Every day he stays in me cooking is a relief. I've known of several babies born really early and although they survived and live a normal life, it was a very tough road for them and their mamas and daddies. So as uncomfortable as I am right now, I am praying daily for the little booger to stay in me until he is completely ready to come out. Don't get me wrong though, in another three weeks when he is full term, I'll be wishing his arrival at any time!

Every week day gets a little more uncomfortable than the one before. Even though Gray is getting bigger, I am still feeling him move a lot. He spends most of his time on my bladder and in my ribs, which is a tad uncomfortable as you can imagine. I am sure his movement will change soon as he really starts to run out of room in there. The lovely pregnancy swelling joined me last week. It started in my ankles but at times my entire legs and feet are swollen too. By Sunday evening my legs almost all looked like one size. It's really attractive and I'm pretty excited about it. Oh, and it feels real good too. It's always a lot better when I wake up in the morning but by the middle to end of every day they look like tree trunks again. Honestly though I am very thankful it didn't start earlier. I've had several friends who got swollen a lot earlier in pregnancy and I can't imagine having to deal with that for months. My face has gotten a little puffy too. My hands are a little swollen but I am still able to wear my rings. I think I will take them off soon though because I have a small fear of having to get them cut off.

Just when you might think I can't get any bigger, think again...

Friday was my youngest nephew's 8th birthday (which seriously makes me want to cry) so I took him lunch to school. As I was leaving, a teacher stopped me and asked  me when I was due. When I told her, she said "Dang, looks like there are AT LEAST two in there!" It was the first time I did not laugh. As a matter of fact, I didn't even crack a smile. It was funny the first 500 times but the more miserable I feel, the more it gets really old. I am aware of my size but seriously, what makes people think they can say things like that out loud? So I joked that day on Facebook about how the next person to make a comment was going to get smacked. The next day my family threw a wedding shower for my cousin and her fiance. We had it in a big room at our church. Paul and I got there to help set up and as soon as I walked in the door, one of the janitorial staff who was there helping get the tables and chairs out looked at me and said, "Aww, twins!" He had the biggest smile on his face and in a truly innocent way, he was certain I was having twins. Regardless, I found it hard to laugh it off. He looked at Paul and said "By the look on her face, I'm guessing I said something wrong." I still found it hard to come up with some grace and I looked at him and said in a very stern teacher voice "Don't EVER say that to a pregnant woman again." And then my mom and Gram made me feel bad because "he didn't know any better". Hey mom, remember when you were barely 40 and got asked if you wanted the senior citizen discount at the dry cleaners? Haha, just kidding but I couldn't resist. Anywho, soon enough our sweet baby will be here and all of these rude comments might be funny again.

We had our third birthing class last night. We learned all about epidurals and c-sections. The nurse who taught our class told us that about 90% of women at our hospital get epidurals. I plan on being in that percentile. Last night was also supposed to be the meet the doctors night where a doctor from all of the local pediatricians come and tell you why you should choose their practice. There was some kind of miscommunication though and that is actually going to be tonight. Thankfully for some weird reason, Paul only has one soccer session tonight and we'll both be able to go. I am hoping we can decide on a pediatrician soon. There are several to choose from but we know of someone different who goes to each practice and they all have good things to say about where they go so it sounds like we can't really go wrong.

Ok y'all, I'm off to vote. Hoping the lines aren't too crazy for the sake of these swollen feet.

1 comment: