Monday, May 9, 2011

Brace yourself...

This is a long one!

Paul and I decided to surprise his mom for Mother's Day and make a trip to their house for the weekend. We saw his parents for a grand total of 24 hours over Easter and it had been since Christmas that we'd seen them before then. It was really the only weekend for the next month or so that we could have gone. Plus, Paul's uncle who lives in Germany was there visiting for the first time in years and I had never met him before.

It is completely necessary to interrupt the Mother's Day weekend recap with a funny story. Paul has been asking for a metal detector for 2 years now. At first I thought he was joking because who under the age of 60 wants a metal detector? Welp, he kept asking and I finally decided I would get him one for his birthday this year. After we decided we were going to his parents for the weekend, I knew I had to give it to him as an early birthday present so he could test it out on the beach. So I paid extra for 2 day shipping (which I NEVER do) so it could be here in time to surprise him with it on Friday before we left. I had it shipped to my Gram's house because he was going to beat me home the day it was supposed to arrive. So Wednesday in between tutoring and Bible study dinner, I ran to Gram's to pick it up. Unfortunately, there was nothing to pick up. So I called UPS and after tracking it they said it was attempted to be delivered. Fantastic! Turns out, the letter that goes with her street address got left off the delivery address and since she lives in a townhouse, UPS didn't know which one to deliver it too. Knowing there was no way I could pick it up the next day, I told the customer service lady I would go straight there to get it and I'd just be a little late to dinner. Her response-"Oh no you can't do that. I have to call this in and you have to wait for a call back before you can go pick it up." Of course I do. Beyond frustrated at this point, I went on to dinner and laughed about this with the girls. I mean let's be honest, it's hilarious that all of this was over a metal detector. During dinner a sweet lady named Janice from UPS called me back and said I could come get it even though they were technically closed. Things started looking up! Well the UPS store isn't exactly in the best part of town and it was dark by this time. But I made it there without misplacing myself and Janice told me to walk up and she'd have someone waiting there with my box. So I walked into the warehouse and before I could even look around, a toothless man in a big truck came flying up to me, yelling at me that I could NOT be in the warehouse. I explained to him that Janice told me to come even though it was after hours. He wasn't having it. He made me go outside under this super sketchy little building to wait. It was dark. It was cold. Nobody was outside. And I was about to pee my pants. I was on the verge of tears and a nervous breakdown by this point. Oh, and not to mention that the highway that I would have to take to go home was stopped for miles due to construction. So my next fear was that Paul would start to wonder why I had been at dinner for 3 hours. I was determined not to let him know about this dang metal detector. After standing outside for what seemed like forever, but really was about 5-10 minutes, a nice old man came to my rescue. He called Janice back, got my package to me and even let me follow him an alternate way to the highway so we would skip all the traffic. So at last I had the package! Now the only other disappointment was that I didn't have a chance to put it together. After all of this, I was not about to give it to him in a big brown box. Stay with me, this is almost over.

After telling my good friend Allyn about all of this at work the next morning, she offered to help me put it together during lunch. We scarfed our food down and then we were on a mission. It was really easy to put together, leaving us a few minutes to go outside and test it out.



And even a few minutes left to wrap it up.



And just in case you're wondering, we did not exceed our 30 minute lunch break to do something personal during school hours.

I left it locked up at school Thursday night because I didn't have time to get home and hide it before Paul got home that day. I beat him home on Friday just in time to tie a balloon and a happy early birthday sign on the door. Needless to say, he was completely shocked and super excited about his new little toy. He especially got a kick out of hearing the traumatic funny story about what I had to go through just to get the thing.

Ok, so back to Mother's Day weekend. We had a great time with his parents and his uncle and Mama Hicks couldn't have been more happy about her surprise guests for the weekend. We got to spend a little time on the beach too.





And if you're wondering if Paul hit the jackpot with his new toy...I am proud to say we are now 27 cents richer! Totally worth everything I endured to get his metal detector.

No comments:

Post a Comment