This week Gray is a little over 16 inches long, which means he's grown over a half inch in just a week! He weighs a little over three pounds and my sources say he is about to enter another growth spurt, gaining almost a half a pound every week from here on out. By the looks of my belly, I didn't know the last growth spurt ever stopped. Perhaps mama's just going through a growth spurt. Either way, the comments have not begun to cease by any means. I have to write about a few of them because it's honestly quite entertaining. And if it's funny now, I know it will be funny for me to look back on later.
A week or two ago Paul and I were checking out at the grocery store and the cashier looked at my belly, smiled and then asked me when I was due. When I told her June, I seriously thought she was going to come over the cash register. Her response-"JUNE?! There is no way you are due in June. You are so big. He won't make it that long, there is no way he will make it that long." I'm already stunned at this point but it gets much better. Then she starts telling me how a girl that she works with had a baby a couple of weeks ago and she wasn't "nearly as big as you are". And as if that still wasn't enough, she then starts calling down to all of her other cashier friends and telling them to "look at how huge I was". I felt like I was on display at the Dixie Classic Fair-you know like the shortest woman alive or the half horse, half woman. I honestly should have started asking for a dollar for every person she called to "get a good look at me". Paul and I both never could get any words out. We just stared at her the whole time in disbelief and couldn't seem to come back with anything. When she finally shut up long enough, we started walking out and the sweet little thing had the nerve to say "make sure you bring him in to meet us when he's born". Um, yeah right. Paul and I laughed about it the rest of the day. We just try to go with "bless her heart, she just doesn't know any better" and wait for the next rude person to come along. If I had a dollar for every time I've heard the words "dang", "huge", "are you sure there aren't two in there?" and "JUNE?!", Paul and I would be having some nice date nights. Anywho, I just keep telling myself that my big belly has to mean we have a healthy, growing boy :)
Back to week 31.
I have actually been written out of work this week. It's a long, weird story that I'll try to sum up as best as I can. Last summer in Africa I hit my shin really hard on the tile corner of the shower. A day or two later I had the biggest, nastiest bruise on the side of my foot on the same leg. It didn't hurt at all until a couple of days later. Between the bruise and the crazy swelling I got on the plane on the way home, a few people told me they thought it could mean I had a blood clot. I went to the hospital and they ruled that out and said a hematoma had formed from blood that went down my leg from hitting my shin. The doctors said it would just go away. Although the bruise got much better, it never went away completely. There have been days here and there where it has hurt but not consistently enough to worry or do anything about. But the past couple of weeks it's been hurting pretty bad and there is a good size knot there. So I decided to go to the doctor to get it checked out. The doctor thinks that the hematoma never healed the way it should have and that it has turned into a hard mass or scar tissue. He told me I needed to stay off of my feet because it was only going to make it worse. So he wrote me out for this week until I have some tests done and see a podiatrist. I had an ultra-sound done yesterday and haven't heard back from that yet. I should hear from them today and should also get an appointment scheduled with a podiatrist. My doctor made it seem like if there isn't any treatment they can do while I'm pregnant, he would write me out of work for the rest of this year. My back was already killing me and when my foot started hurting bad on top of that, work and being on my feet for 10-12 hours every day really was getting unbearable. So, we'll see what I find out this week. It's been nice to be home though. I can do a few things around the house but as soon as my back starts hurting, I can lay down and get immediate relief. It's been so nice not to feel physically miserable the past two days.
I'll update about my foot and work when I know something.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment