Thursday, July 28, 2011

I think I'll go to Africa today

Paul and I just spent a few days at his parents house because Paul was working at his dad's high school camp. I went to Wilmington for a day to see my cousin and sweet godson, Cole. My camera is already packed so I'll have to post pictures later. But can I just say I love that little guy so much?! I am SO excited that they live closer so we will be able to spend more time with him and watch his sweet little self grow up.

I had some last minute errands and laundry/packing to do when we got back yesterday but for the most part Paul and I were able to spend some good time together. I am going to miss him so much! Last year wasn't as hard as I thought it would be, but it was still very tough. I get to call him every other day or so but it's expensive so the phone calls are pretty short. Thankfully he will be very busy with his high school team while I am gone and I know our wonderful friends and family will make sure he is being fed.

I can't believe in a few hours I will be on my way to KENYA. It is a weird feeling. With it being my third time, I have been more relaxed about the preparations and I know what to expect. Plus, we've been a tad bit busy this summer so I really haven't had a lot of time to let it sink in that I am really going to Africa. It is still surreal, even for the third time. I feel blessed and honored that the Lord would call me to go on mission with him in such an amazing place. I wish I could make you understand just what it does for my heart the second I see the sweet faces of these precious Kenyan people.

We are meeting at the church at 1:30, leaving at 2:00 in hopes of being in Raleigh by 4:00. Our first flight is at 6:00. In the past we have flown from Greensboro to either DC or Chicago before flying to London, but this year we are flying straight there from Raleigh. It will take many hours off of the travel time and will help make it less exhausting. Last year we'd been gone from the church for 6 hours and hadn't made it out of Greensboro. Because our first flight was cancelled, we missed all the other ones and needless to say, it took us many, many hours to get there. 47 to be exact. Not that I was counting. So we are all hoping and praying for smooth and safe travels. We should be in Mombasa, where we will stop and sleep for one night, by about midnight Kenya time on Friday. We'll be in Malindi, where we will stay for the remainder of the time, by late afternoon on Saturday. Kenya is 7 hours ahead.

I am hoping to be able to update my blog a few times while I am gone but there are never any guarantees with internet there. Please be in prayer for our team. We need prayers for safety and good health and most importantly, for many people to draw closer to or come to know Jesus for the first time.

Kwaheri, y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment