We had a good weekend. Saturday there was a big cookout in the Forest Park community to wrap up Community Serve week. We got to see some of our precious kiddos from soccer camp. One in particular that I fell in love with and wanted to sneak home was no where to be found. It breaks my heart to think I may never see his sweet little face again.
Sunday our church had a recap service of Community Serve week. It was awesome to see pictures and hear testimonies of how God worked through the community and the people who served. God has given me a heart for Africa. I think about it all the time. I want to go there and serve every chance I get. But I was reminded while serving last week that my heart for missions cannot be limited to Kenya. For one, I clearly can't go there as often as I could go to Forest Park or nearby communities. Two, I realize that a lot of the very same needs that exist in Kenya are also 10 minutes down the street from my house. Thank you Lord for perspective.
Our precious friend Alexandra works at Calvary as the Director of Community Ministries. It is so encouraging for me to see how passionate she is for local missions. Our church family is so grateful for everything she does to head up Community Serve mission trip week as well as emphasis on serving our community throughout the entire year. Alex asked Paul and I if we would be willing to be interviewed about Community Serve at two of our church services on Sunday. I would definitely consider myself an extrovert, but getting up in front of a crowd (most of who I don't know) is something completely out of my comfort zone. But it wasn't about me and I felt like if we'd been asked to do this, God wanted to use us for some crazy reason. So we said yes. It wasn't quite as scary as I thought it might be, especially since I told our pastor to let Paul do most of the talking ;) Sunday our Bible Fellowship class had all planned to go to lunch. I had been looking so forward to going. But we had gone over to Calvary's west campus for their recap service too and it was almost 1:00 by the time we left so it was too late to make it to lunch. I'm not gonna lie-I pouted. I was super bummed. We were almost home and Paul decided he was determined to have lunch with some friends anyway. So we called Alex and her husband Ron (who had also just left west campus) and ended up meeting them for a late, last minute lunch. At 3:30 we finally decided we'd better get up and let the restaurant start getting ready for the dinner crowd. I am so thankful for the people like that in our lives...those who you have spent two and a half hours talking to without even knowing it's been that long.
Sunday evening we had my family over for dinner. Paul made his famous burgers and we enjoyed some much needed time with the fam. My mom and I won't see everybody again before we leave for Kenya and we will be gone on Matthew's 13th birthday.
Paul's dad has been here this week for Paul's high school soccer camp. Camp will be over tomorrow night and Paul and I are going to soak up Friday and Saturday of some just us time before heading to his parents on Sunday for his dad's camp next week. We will come home on Wednesday night and I leave Thursday morning. That does not bother my "type A" and "primary love language is quality time" personality at all. In all seriousness though, we knew when I committed to going back to Kenya that this is what it would look like and we will make the best of it. I want to have everything packed by tomorrow so I don't have to spend the weekend doing that. So on that note, it's off to work on getting 16 days worth of stuff into one checked bag and one carry-on.
Happy hump day y'all!
No comments:
Post a Comment