What a great but exhausting week it was for the Hicksters! We really enjoyed doing the soccer camp for Community Serve and Paul's soccer camp went really well too. We met some of the sweetest kids through the Community Serve camp and whether they knew how to show it or not, I know they were blessed by the camp and us just simply loving on them. I hope and pray those sweet children saw Jesus in us this week.
As awesome as the week was, it was the best feeling to sleep past 7:00 this morning and know we didn't have to spend 9 hours in the heat. Although the heat has temporarily been 86ed in our neck of the woods. It was only in the lower 70s yesterday and I actually had goose bumps when we first got out to soccer camp yesterday morning. As much as I love summer, it has been a nice surprise to have a little break from the heat.
We have our first Kenya meeting this afternoon. All but one person going has been before, so the preparations have been pretty laid back. I can't believe we leave in a week and a half. I'll be packing and getting everything ready this week. All of our team members have almost raised all of our funds for the cost of the trip. I am amazed and humbled by how generous people have been with their donations towards our trip. We have surely been so blessed by others in that regard. Thanks to God for providing our funds, we should be able to use almost all of the money we raised at our yard sale to use when we get to Kenya. Our original plan was to spend the money on buying Bibles for the people there (most all do not have a Bible and never will if it's not bought for them) but we have learned that the money will mostly be going to feed people instead. They have been in a terrible drought and their economy is worse than even we can imagine. One of the pastors told our leader that he and his wife have to choose between them eating dinner or their children because they don't have enough food for everyone. So without a second thought, they go to bed hungry so their children won't have to. That breaks my heart. We CANNOT imagine that. I can't think of one friend or family member who have ever thought they would have to skip dinner for weeks. Even through some of the financial hardships Paul and I have been through, it doesn't come close to comparing to that. Our money will be multiplied and will be able to go so far over there. I am so thankful God provided the way He did through our yard sale and other people so that we can feed these sweet people when we get to Kenya.
Paul's dad comes tomorrow to help coach his high school soccer camp this week. It will be another very exhausting week for the hubster. I am so proud of the hard worker he is for us. It will be my privilege to feed him and keep up with his sweaty laundry all week.
Enjoy the weekend y'all!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment