Friday, December 24, 2010

2 years ago today...

Was one of the best days of my life. Paul and I had decided he would go to his parents right after getting out of school for Christmas break and I would head down on Christmas day. It was late morning on Christmas Eve and I was on the complete other side of town headed to my Gram's to help her wrap a few last minute presents and load up the car. Paul called and asked if I would go to his house to get a package that had arrived. He had told me weeks prior to this that he ordered a Christmas gift but it was on back order and would probably get there while he was gone. He had given me a key to his place and I was going to go put the package in his house when it got there. After all, he lived in a townhouse and didn't want the package to sit there for days and most likely get stolen. Sounded completely normal to me.

So back to when he called...I was on the other side of town and was already running quite a bit late to Gram's house so I wasn't thrilled about turning around and driving all the way back to Paul's. He said he tracked it and that it had been sitting there since the day before and he begged me to please go and get it. So, I turned around and headed to his house. Not happy about it at all, but I was going to rescue this package for my wonderful boyfriend who I knew would have done it for me in a heartbeat. I decided not to call Gram and hope she didn't notice that I was going to be an hour late getting to her house. I called my friend Ashley so I'd have someone to talk to on my drive across town and back. When I pulled up to his house, I was relieved to see that a box was still there. I had my phone in one hand and picked up the box in the other. I opened his door to put the package inside and I saw lights on the floor. The box was so big that I barely had the door cracked. True story-my first thought was, "When did he put Christmas lights up? And did he really leave for a week and forget to unplug them?" So I told Ashley I would call her back, I opened the door, walked in, and this is what I saw...



Candles and flowers everywhere. It was the most surreal feeling in the world. I mean, surely I knew what was going on at this point but it felt like I was in a dream. He was not even in town, he was 4 hours away at his parents! I just knew he was, I had just talked to him and he was hanging out with his dad. So, I walked in and there was my handsome prince. In a shirt and tie, sitting in a chair, about to ask me to marry him. OH. MY. GOODNESS.


I kept asking him when he got here, when did he do all of this, etc, etc. Our favorite Journey song was playing in the background, he was all smiles and told me the sweetest things in the world. And then he got down on one knee and asked me to marry him. OH. MY. GOODNESS. AGAIN! I can't even describe the moment. I was so happy and excited but so shocked. I kept hoping I wouldn't wake up from and it all be a dream. I really didn't expect for him to propose anytime real soon and I especially didn't expect it when he was 4 hours away at his parent's house! He had it all planned for weeks and I never had one clue. He had come back home the night before and of course I had no idea. I always knew I wanted to be completely thrown off and surprised, but I never would have dreamed it would have been that perfect. Paul said he never wanted to use a holiday as a time to propose, but this just happened to be the one time he could throw me off like he did. It couldn't have been better timing in my opinion. It was Christmas Eve which meant we got to celebrate with our families. And he got the whole thing on video! It was truly one of the most amazing days of my almost-3o years of life.




I can't believe it's already been two years and now I am married to someone I can honestly say is my very best friend in the world. I am truly blessed beyond measure!

No comments:

Post a Comment