I'll try not to start every post this way, but dang time is going so fast and our boy is growing and changing every day! I think that Gray might be starting to grow out of his colic. Except for one really bad day, he has been much better for a little over a week now. Let me tell you more about that bad day...
It was last Saturday and of course was the first time Daddy was out of town all day. Gray stayed awake for seven hours straight except for two 15 minute cat naps. He cried for five of those hours. And I don't mean a whiny cry, I mean a full on colic scream. Bless his sweet heart. And mine too ;) After the first two hours I thought there was no way he could keep screaming too much longer, so I decided to be super mom and stick it out. Stupid! After the third hour I thought there was no way he could scream much longer so I still didn't call anyone to come over to help. Stupid again! After the fourth hour I thought there was NO way he could scream much longer. Super Mom was getting more and more stupid. And exhausted. I'd tried every position, bouncing, walking, talking, singing, every distraction and anything possible I could think of, all with no luck. During the fifth straight hour of screaming, my Gram called to check on us. She didn't have to ask how things were going when I answered the phone and all she could hear was screaming. My mom was over at her house helping her do some things but she left right away when she heard how long Gray had been fussing. Of course five minutes before she got to our house, he had finally had worn himself out and fallen asleep. Super Mom learned her lesson about assuming a baby can only scream for "so long". I was honestly very close to my breaking point by the end of the five hours. God won't give us MORE than we can handle, right?! Thankfully we haven't had a repeat of that day since then. I'd say "knock on wood", but I don't believe in that silliness. Anywho, I really think our sweet boy is starting to turn a corner. We can still hear gas rumbling in his tummy quite a bit, but I think he is just getting used to it and the fact that he is growing like a weed helps too.
Our Gray is changing day by day. Over the past week or so, he has really started becoming more aware of things around him. He is so curious and gets fixated on certain objects. He has also begun to follow objects with his eyes. He usually likes tummy time and is starting to enjoy his baths more. He is holding his head up more and more every day and pretty soon I don't even think he'll need us to support it anymore. He is starting to eat more at his feedings. It's hard to tell exactly how much he gets when he's nursing but I pump during the day so that Daddy can give him a bottle at night and he will take right about three ounces now. He has had some very good nights. He almost always sleeps at least three hours at a time but has made a lot of four hour stretches and even a couple five hour ones. Mommy and Daddy are so excited when that happens! Several days ago I got my first non-milk-coma smile from our sweet boy. Holy moly did it melt this mama's heart! He has done it a few times since then and so far I've teared up every time. I finally got my camera in time to catch one this morning. It's not the best picture, but it's certainly one of the best memories to date.
Here is some more Gray cuteness from lately...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment