Wednesday, July 11, 2012

1 month

How has it already been a month since our baby boy was born? I have a feeling I'm going to be saying things like that a lot.

It's been a wonderful month with our sweet Gray. He has grown and changed so much already. As I mentioned in my previous post, the last two-three weeks have been quite challenging though. Our little buddy has been quite the McFussy Pants. If you could hear and feel the gas in his tummy you'd know why. Bless his sweet heart.

He was scheduled for his one month check up tomorrow but the last couple of days have been so bad that I called first thing yesterday morning and got him an appointment for that morning. He is in so much pain the majority of the day and even though the medicines seem to be helping him some, I just couldn't stand another day of watching him be so miserable IF there was anything else that could be done for him. But after our visit with the pediatrician yesterday, it's official that our sweet boy has colic. Colic is basically defined by the amount of time a baby spends crying, due to some kind of discomfort, in which case his is very bad gas. And unfortunately, there isn't much you can do about it. We are going to keep giving him the probiotics, gas drops and gripe water because in case one or all three are really helping, we don't want to risk stopping them yet and things get even worse. The good news about colic is that it is temporary. The doctor said it usually goes away by 12 weeks. He also said that it usually doesn't start until 4-6 weeks so there is hope that since Gray's started so much earlier, it will go away sooner too. We are praying constantly for God to heal our sweet little booger. He has slept almost ALL day today-certainly the most he has slept in almost 3 weeks. Poor guy is so exhausted from not getting the sleep that he needs and I think it finally caught up with him.

We were so excited to hear that Gray's weight had gone up again. Just two weeks ago he weighed 8 pounds, 5 ounces and yesterday he weighed 9 pounds, 12 ounces! It sure makes this nursing mama feel good about things. His head and weight are right in the 50th percentile. He had grown a half inch, putting him at 22 1/2 inches, which is right at the 85th percentile. He obviously got his height from his mama. Ha! He is wearing size one diapers and mostly 0-3 month size clothes, although there are a few newborn things that he can still squeeze into.

Our little man is quite the stud. He is so strong it's almost freaky. He rolled over at a week and a half and his head is crazy strong already. When we're holding him up on our shoulders, which is his favorite position because of his gassy tummy, he can completely lift his head by himself and look around. He can stand up with his legs completely straight when you hold him by his arms on your lap. And I'm not kidding you when I say he looks like he is going to crawl away every time we do tummy time. He can also lift his head and turn it to the other side when on his tummy.

Although I certainly don't want time to go any faster, we are loving watching him grow and change and look forward to all of his amazing milestones. It is crazy how much we love Gray already. Feeling super humbled and blessed to be his mama!

I love this picture of him holding up ONE finger! :)




No comments:

Post a Comment