Excuse me while I take a brief pause from Kenya posts to brag on my husband.
As most of you know, Paul coaches the Varsity Mens Soccer at Reagan High School. Forsyth County high schools start each soccer season with a big tournament, called the Soccer Spectacular. Almost all of the high schools in the county compete.
Paul's soccer team won the first and second round so they made it to the final game, which was last night against West Forsyth. They were so excited to have even made it to the championship game. Reagan scored first but before half time, West had tied up the game. In non-tournament games, the game is recorded as a tie but last night's game went into overtime. The game was still tied after overtime so from there they did penalty kicks. For the first round of penalty kicks, each team chooses 5 players and they have a straight shot at the goal, alternating one player/one team at a time. The kicker is expected to make it, but it's rare that the goalie can stop a straight on, one-on-one shot. The Reagan goalie stopped two of their goals but our players had missed two goals themselves, so we were still tied and the next round would be sudden death (first to score wins). West had the last kick which would determine if it went to that. I can't imagine the pressure that was on him as he got up for the last shot. Reagan's goalie blocked their last shot and they won the game!!!! It was the most intense, exciting soccer game I have ever watched. It was definitely a battle and both teams played very well. As excited as I was just being Mrs. Coach, I can't imagine how proud Paul and his team all feel. It was a late night for the Hicksters, needless to say. I think Paul could survive off of adrenaline alone for the rest of the week.
What a good way to "kick" off the season!! Hoping for many more wins and a state championship this year.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment