Surely you didn't think that meant we were announcing that number three was on the way! ;)
After waiting several years our time has finally come to buy a house! We've had Paul's townhouse on the market five and a half years now and have been living here waiting for it to sell for three and a half. We've been praying that whole time for God to sell it or tell us it was ok to rent it and move on. I can't tell you how many times we've heard "God's timing is perfect" and we know it to be true but at the same time struggled with that reality a lot of days. We've watched countless friends and family members sell their homes and move on, often making us wonder "why not us?". But we remained faithful because we knew He is faithful. We have questioned the long timing so much. Was there something we were doing wrong in God's eyes? About a year or so ago we both finally felt like we knew the reason-God had something better for us than we could imagine and it (the house) just wasn't ready yet.
Fast forward a year. A little over a month ago we met with our realtor to discuss some strategies for our home. Unfortunately the condo and townhouse market hasn't seen much improvement and especially our neighborhood. There is foreclosure after foreclosure and it's hard to compete with that. We are priced to sell and have been for years but we still can't compete with a foreclosure. Our feedback from showings is almost always something like this, "beautiful, clean and well kept townhouse, best one in the neighborhood. Buyers have decided to buy a single family home for the same price/buyers have found a foreclosure with more square feet for ten-twenty thousand less." It's been so frustrating because we can't change those things. We've put quite a bit of money into our house over the years doing upgrades so ours would stand out amongst the many others, but it still hasn't been enough.
So we talked about some promotions and things we could offer to spark more interested buyers online. And then she brought up renting, something we had never even let our other realtors talk to us about because we knew it wasn't even an option. This time we both felt different. We heard her out, talked for over an hour about the pros and cons, got a lot of information and told her we would pray about it. We have come to the realization that with where the market is, we could easily be here another five years and at some point (for us it would be when God told us it was ok) we want to move on and be in a house a little better suited for raising a family-especially one of two boys!
After talking and praying about it over the next week, Paul and I both felt like God was telling us it was ok to move on. We told our realtor we wanted to make a big push for the rest of June and July to sell but if it didn't by then we would try the renting route. Several realtors and other people in the related business have told us we would have no problems renting our place. Of course there are risks involved and with where we are financially, those risks are scary. But after waiting for over five years, we have to trust that God will take care of us. If we have to rent, we will be able to make a little money each month to save up to make our mortgage payment if we don't have a renter for a month or two and/or for carpet cleaning, repairs, etc. It's not enough to consider an investment but we shouldn't lose any money as long as we can keep a renter and that is all we cared about. We have an interested buyer right now who says our house is in their top two so we are praying hard for an acceptable offer from her or someone else in the next several weeks. Of course the best case scenario is to sell.
Now on to the fun part...
Once we told our realtor we were ok going the renting route if our house didn't sell, she told us that we needed to start looking for a house because we would have a renter as soon as we marketed it that way. We began to wonder if there even would be a house we would be interested in that was in our price range. We looked at a lot of houses online and when we saw one we might be interested in, we drove out to see it to decide if it was worth a showing with our realtor. We toted up the boys one Sunday afternoon and went to look at a house in that sparked our interest online. The house was vacant so we peeked in all the windows and walked around the yard for a while. When we left I told Paul "this is the one!" We got a showing the next day with our realtor, went back again that Wednesday and made an offer on Thursday. After a long eight days of negotiating back and forth with the sellers our offer was accepted and we were under contract by the following Friday evening. More about the house...it's an old house, built in the 50s so there are A LOT of home improvement and renovations in our future, which we are actually looking forward to. The house is in an awesome location in Clemmons. There are three bedrooms, two of which are pretty small but big enough for boys and two full baths, which are first on our big list of projects (try to picture lavender tile, maroon counter tops and flowers painted INSIDE of the sink, just to name a few). There is a large, beautiful sunroom added on to the back of the house off of the kitchen. And the best parts-a finished basement and a big, fenced in backyard for our boys to play in. I will share more details and pictures of the house sometime soon and I'm sure there will be many before and after blog posts once we move in and start on some projects.
We are so very excited! Excited to have more space, excited to have all main living space on the one level, excited for a basement playroom and a backyard for our boys to run and play in, excited for something that feels like HOME, especially excited to be done with showings and the stress, headache and disappointment that comes along with it. I really could go on and on and on :)
We are scheduled to close on August 12th but our lender and realtor have both said it probably won't be able to happen that soon for several reasons. The timing of this all this is so crazy-Paul will be right in the middle of his busiest time with soccer, not to mention we have a six week old. BUT, if God waited this long for it to be our time then we know He will get us through the craziness of it. We are so excited and can't wait to share more soon.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone