Friday, August 22, 2014

Another Walker/house update

I don't even know where to begin; so much is going on in our lives! So many of our friends and family have called and/or texted asking about Walker and the house and we haven't had enough quiet minutes to respond the way we would like to so I thought I'd do it here again.

As for Walker...
The day of his swallow test we switched from rice cereal to oatmeal because we'd heard it would be better on his tummy. Unfortunately we didn't see any difference and the oatmeal was even harder for him to get down. There is a reason babies aren't supposed to have anything other than breast milk or formula before six months of age-their poor little tummies and digestive systems just aren't developed and mature enough to handle it. So while thickening his bottles was helping some with the reflux, it was making his tummy hurt so bad that he screamed all day with gas pains and constipation. We were feeling so desperate at this point. I've been afraid to switch to Prilosec (a third and final medicine option) in fear of it not working as good and us taking steps back while giving it a two week trial. A friend of mine told me about taking her week old baby to a chiropractor for an adjustment and it healing her reflux. I've never necessarily had a reason to, but have always been very leery of chiropractors and the thought of taking my BABY to one really seemed out there so I didn't even consider it. I was texting with an old college friend one day about two weeks ago who I haven't seen or talked to in months and was filling her in on what's been going on with Walker. She told me they took their first child (who was born at 27 weeks) to a chiropractor when she only weighed five pounds and it also cured her reflux. Really trusting this friend and her maternal instincts and decisions, I thought it might be worth a shot. I called the same chiropractor she used and had an appointment scheduled for the following day. He was able to get a good look at Walker's spine without x-rays and said he was in fact out of alignment in several places. He explained to us how our spine really controls every part of our body and how certain things can be affected when out of alignment. It all seemed to make perfect sense but I still wasn't buying that it could fix our baby. He showed us what he would do to Walker to align him and let us feel what it would feel like to him. It didn't hurt at all so we decided we were willing to give it a try. Y'all! For the rest of the day Walker was the most peaceful and content he's been in two months. He NURSED for every single feeding the rest of the day. It was like a miracle! I was beginning to think my nursing days were over. He went back that Friday (a week ago today) for a second exam and two places needed adjusting again. Since the first adjustment we have only thickened ONE bottle, and that was before his second adjustment. We are so thankful that he has been eating better and I am so happy to be nursing him again and not having to plug up that dang pump every couple of hours!

I really thought if we could get the reflux under control Walker would be the most happy, content baby. Unfortunately he has still been very fussy. Despite him being off of rice and oatmeal, his tummy is still giving him a lot of issues. He screams out in gas pain a lot even though my diet has been extremely bland for over two months now. At this point I have to think the Prevacid is what's causing the trouble. Thankfully he naps great and has been giving us some eight hour stretches at night but he is usually crying or screaming most of the time he's awake. I'm lucky to catch a smile or two each day. He has a good day here and there and I get my hopes up that he's grown out of it but then it's back to screaming the next day. Because he is so fussy we don't make it out much and that has been very hard on Gray, who is used to being out and about most of the day. As hard as it's been, I know from experience with Gray that he will get better and this isn't an indication of what his personality will be like. I try to remind myself that the days are long but the years are so short. Here's hoping for a happier, more content fourth month of life.

As for the house...
We closed last Friday, praise the Lord!! It got pushed back several days because the sellers were out of town and weren't here to sign their part of the paperwork. Because of that, they agreed to let us in the house last Tuesday, which was our original closing date. The painter started that day is almost finished with the whole house now. The hallway, living room, dining room and both bathrooms were wall papered so we spent a lot of time last weekend tearing it down. We didn't even come close to finishing it. Paul started back to school Monday for teacher work days and is be gone every evening with soccer. I can't get anything done over there when the boys are with me so we had to pay someone (a family member a awesome handy man!) to finish it along with some other things we weren't going to have time to do before moving in. It's already looking so much better over there and it's been so exciting to see the transformation. Fresh paint and new lighting alone will make it seem like a brand new house.

We hope to start moving in next weekend and I can't wait to blog with some before and after pictures when I get some spare time-ha! Have I mentioned we've only packed one box?

Have a good weekend, y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment