Friday, July 17, 2015

Five on Friday

I've really considered hanging up the 'ol blog here lately but then I know how much I'll love to read back on our lives and what we were up to. So I'm back with yet another attempt to at least have a once a week little update on our family.

ONE.
I need to be honest and admit that we are still pouting a little around here about having to cut our only vacation for the summer short two weeks ago. And by short I mean we weren't even there 36 hours. Paul had some kind of crazy flu (and I think he has been sick a total of 5 times since I've known him), I had some kind of sore throat/cold/achy virus and Gray had an extremely high fever and was even begging to go home. Turns out Gray had a nasty, nasty case of Hand, Foot and Mouth. So nasty, in fact, that we spent 4th of July evening at Brenner Children's hospital because they suspected he had Impetido and a staff infection. His entire body from head to toe was covered in blisters. It was the most pitiful I've seen our boy yet. We think Walker had a very mild case of it for just a couple of days in the beginning but otherwise he was happy and healthy the whole time. Right after Paul recovered from his flu-like sickness, he also got HFM. It was a rough, rough week round these parts y'all! We hate we won't get our toes in the sand this year but we are so thankful to be well and feeling good again.

TWO.
A huge positive that came out of being sick and confined to the house for over a week is that Gray is fully potty trained! Once he was feeling better (but still covered in blisters so we wanted to stay home) we decided we were going for it. He has been going pee pee in the potty every night for over a year but just kept not being quite ready. He was a little reluctant to the frequent trips to the potty at first, mostly because he didn't want to stop what he was doing so often. And without too many details, the whole number two thing was what has been keeping him from being ready. But we caught his needing to go at the perfect time for two days in a row and he was so proud of himself that now it almost seems like he can't wait to do his big business in the potty. It wasn't nearly as hard as I thought it would be and he has been so successful. He hasn't had any accidents since day two of training and is also staying dry for naps and at night. He has woken up two different nights and asked to go which is a huge deal for him. I am so proud of our big boy and quite happy to have only one in diapers. And oh my, how cute Gray looks in some big boy undies!!!

THREE.
Walker has been such a precious delight lately. He has never been the easiest or most laid back kid but the past few weeks he has been so happy and just so much fun to be around. He does have four molars coming in but once they broke through the skin they haven't seemed to bother him much. He is talking SO much! His vocabulary at almost 14 months amazes me. He is very busy but also loves to read book after book after book. He isn't a huge fan of the pool-he just seems bored and doesn't want to be in a float or be held. He is Mr. Independent and wants down, down, down! He loves trucks, tractors, buses and anything else of the sort. He is OBSESSED with dogs and animals and loves doing animal sounds. He is finally weaned from a bottle and is FINALLY loving whole milk from a sippy cup. He is still eating like a champ and working on keeping a very round, plump belly. As happy as he's been lately, home boy flips a switch at 7:00/7:30 and you better put him to bed if you know what's good for you. We are just so in love with our boys. Really-sometimes I just stare at them and think about how crazy it is that I get to be their Mama. Thank you so much Lord!!!

FOUR.
Where is the summer going?! We have had a lot of time with Paul here and there but after next week, we will be in full soccer season mode. I'm excited for his season but also a little nervous about all the time he will be gone. We miss him and it's HARD to be with the boys so much by myself, but I try to keep perspective and think about single moms, widowed moms, moms whose husbands are deployed, etc. We are hoping to cross a few more things off of our summer bucket list next week and enjoy some good, quality time with Daddy before things get cray cray. 

FIVE.
After I had already written 1-4, I found out some sad news and want to ask for your prayers. A very young girl (younger than myself) just lost her husband to cancer. They have a brand new baby boy. She is the athletic trainer at the high school Paul coaches at. I've talked to her only a few times so I don't know her well at all, but my heart is broken and it's been all I can think about today. Could you please pray for Erin, her baby boy, and all of their family and friends who are struggling with this terrible loss? And also, hug and kiss your loved ones a little tighter. I can't imagine what she would give for just one more day with her husband and best friend. I know this is a depressing number five for a Friday but it's real and God calls us to mourn with those who mourn. They need our prayers desperately. 

Have a good weekend, hug your loved ones extra tight and try not to take a second for granted. 

No comments:

Post a Comment