Thursday, October 10, 2013

Lately

The 'ol blog has been neglected lately. Where do the days go y'all?

Paul's grandfather went to be with Jesus this week. It was not expected but not a surprise either. He's had dementia since I met him and has been on a slow decline the past five years. He was 90 years old and lived a long, happy life. His wife died many years ago of MS and I've heard so many stories about how bad he wanted to see her again. It makes me cry just thinking about it. We got to spend all weekend in Boone with family and even got some closure by his bed side before he died. From the first time I met him, he didn't know who anyone was but what I always found so amazing was how he responded to children. He had 13 great-grand children and the way he'd light up and interact when they were around was so sweet. Our last visit with him was in May and he and Gray just doted on each other the whole time. It was so precious and sweet. Paul and I left that day saying that if that was the last time we saw him, it sure was the perfect visit. And though he will be missed, all of Paul's family were truly rejoicing at the fact that he is in heaven with Jesus. Knowing that sure makes death a completely different experience. God is so good.

Paul has several more weeks left of soccer season and they have won the last couple games. As it always is, it will be bittersweet when it's over. It's really hard for him not to see Gray during the week and we miss him a lot too. So maybe there will be a little more sweet than bitter ;)

In less than 3 months Paul and I will be on African soil. We are starting to really get into the planning and fundraising. Several friends have been so generous to take the lead on helping us raise money. My good friend Abbie has a side business making cakes and has generously decided to run a promotion and give us all of the profit to go towards the cost of our trip. As if that weren't awesome enough, her husband who owns a local nursery, is putting 25% of his sales that he makes this weekend at a pumpkin patch event toward our trip too. My other dear friend Alex is organizing a big yard sale for October 26th. Some friends in our class at church have offered to let us have it in their neighborhood. Another friend is donating a portion of her jewelry sale to our trip as well. I am just so humbled by the hearts of our friends!

Gray is 16 months old today. He's has had a great couple of weeks with minimal tantrums and extra sweetness. I think he is going through another growth spurt too because he is back to long naps and has gone to sleep in a matter of seconds, rather than playing in his crib for an hour before calling it a night. I hate I haven't been good about documenting Gray stories lately because there sure have been plenty. I'll try to catch up on some of what I can remember.

He has been obsessed with Sophie's dog food for a long time now. So a month or so ago I decided to give him a chore of feeding her. He walks the cup of dog food over to her bowl and pours it in, then takes the cup back to the bag and closes the pantry. Most of the time more dog food ends up on the floor than in her bowl but he sure is proud of himself. Now the only problem is that he thinks Sophie needs more food about nineteen times a day ;)

He has a tractor toy that has three large screws and it comes with a toy drill that actually takes the screws on and off. He loves taking it apart and putting it back together. One day last week I went to get him up from his nap and homeboy had unscrewed three screws on his crib! And no the drill did not make it into his crib for nap, he did that all with his little bare hands. He hadn't gotten them completely out of the crib yet but they were very loose and close to coming out. I was impressed and terrified at the same time. This boy sure keeps my hands full. But my heart is even fuller!

He loves to come and take me by the hand and walk me in the other room to play or read him a book. This usually happens when I'm trying to cook his lunch or dinner but I just go with it because how in the world could I turn that down?! I can't help but hope he'll always want to hold my hand.

He is already tall enough to climb on his rocking horse by himself and this happens at least 20 times every day now. It's so cute.

His most favorite things in life are animals and trucks/tractors/golf carts/school buses, and anything else of the sort. He even squeals at just a little pick up truck when he sees it going down the road.

He loves, loves, loves to read books and begs for one more and one more every night.

He isn't saying a lot of new words lately but continues to use his own language and will surprise us with two and three word phrases out of nowhere. He also said his own name for the first time and has a few times since. PRESH!!

We had the hook up of free parking and admission to the fair thanks to my BF Lindsey so we joined her and Mason and Landon on Tuesday. Gray stayed in his stroller for most of the time but a sweet carnival worker let him sneak on a ride-for free, three times in a row.


We are taking him back Saturday and will have more time to focus on the animals, tractors and the largest pumpkin. My mom is going to go with us so when Gray decides he's over it, she can take him home and Paul and I can have a date night and grub down on some fair food.

We've got a busy weekend scheduled of family, friends, the fair, the pumpkin patch, pumpkin carving party and hopefully a little rest in between. Happy almost Friday, y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment