Saturday, August 27, 2011

This week

Not sure when the last time was that I needed a Saturday this bad. It surely wasn't over the summer when every day felt like Saturday. I've had to work a lot of hours since teacher work days started back. I have a brand new position this year and it's made for a whole lot of work to do. It's been a pretty good transition and am liking it so far, I am just exhausted! I left school several nights at 8:00 and when I got there the next morning at 7:00, I really felt like I'd just left. I do think the whole year will be very busy, but I don't expect to keep working 12-13 hours a day. Actually, I am NOT going to keep working that many hours a day. Period! I like my job and want to be good at it, but I never want to make it my life.

Monday night I had dinner with my good friend Katelyn. She and Derek are getting married in just a couple of months now and it's always so fun catching up on wedding plans. Paul and I are super excited about being in the wedding. It is going to be a huge wedding, but a very different and awesome one.

Tuesday was open house. Our principal scheduled an open house session during the day in addition to the one the county had scheduled for the evening. I had ten parents and students show up during the day, which made the evening open house much better. I actually had time to talk to the parents and students for more than ten seconds. During the lunch time open house we had an earthquake. My friend Tori that teaches across the hall came out of her room and wanted to make sure she wasn't going crazy. A few of us felt it and saw and heard things moving in our classroom but we didn't actually think we'd just had an earthquake. I got on Facebook from my phone (by this time open house was over-of course!) and everybody's status was about the earthquake, along with several links to news reports about it. Crazy! That was only my second earthquake experience and I have to say it was pretty awesome. I'm sure if I'd been in Virginia I wouldn't have been saying that, but it for us here it was pretty cool. Between both open house sessions, I had 26 out of 28 students show up and one that didn't show up I knew from working with her last year. It was a successful day!

Paul had a game on Wednesday. I worked late but made it for the second half. They were playing the same team they'd just beat on Saturday so we figured it would be an easy win. Sadly, the Raiders got beat. I'm afraid it's going to be a long soccer season. The team just doesn't seem to have the heart and drive that some of his previous teams have had. And it's not just because they aren't winning every game because there have been plenty of games lost in the past where he was still proud of the team. Paul gives 200% into coaching, so it breaks his heart and mine when his players just doesn't seem to care the way he does. He had a long heart-to-heart with them the next day at practice. We'll see on Monday night if it did any good.

My Gram joined Facebook this week! I know a lot of older people on Facebook, but if you know my Gram you know why this is hilarious. We'd been trying to talk her into it for a long time so I was completely shocked to get a friend request from her randomly one afternoon. She said she was tired of everyone else telling her what I was doing and all about my pictures. So she says she only got on to see my pictures, but she now has 16 friends and just between you and me, I think she's already hooked ;)

Thursday was the first day of school for students. It was the typical, busy and chaotic first day of school but all 28 of my students showed up and we had a good day. I think I have a pretty good class for the most part. Since we are team teaching, I will have almost 90 students every day for math. I got to meet them all on the first day. There will be some challenges, of course, but overall I think we are going to have a great year.

Thursday night we celebrated one of BFF's birthday. Lindsey turned 30! Her husband planned a surprise party and he got her good-she had no idea. Lindsey decided months and months ago that she wanted to train for a 30K for her 30th birthday so Abbie made the perfect cake. I keep telling her she is beyond good enough to quit her job and make cakes for a living, but so far she hasn't listened to me ;)


It was such a fun night. Katelyn and her band were playing and it was the perfect night to be outside.



This is Jonah, one very special little boy. Read all about him here.


Me, Lindsey and her little man Landon.


Me and the bigger, little man Mason. Such a goober!



I got to sleep in until 9:30 this morning. I feel like a new person! Paul is up in the mountains with one of his hunting buddies planting seed for the upcoming hunting season. Since he is going to be gone all day I have no excuse not to get caught up on house work and school work. And a little blogging too.

Happy weekend, y'all!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the shout out! Give me a few more years practice...then I'll quit my job ;)
    Anyways, you've had a busy week! So glad you were able to get some rest!

    ReplyDelete