Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Hello February!

I don't even know where to begin in catching up on our lives the past few months. I continue to not have the time for this blog, yet know I'll wish later in life that I had more of our memories documented. So here's a brief catch up that will have to do for now.

Since Walker got strep while we were traveling for Christmas, I feel like at least one of the four of us has been sick every single day since then. Gray got a really bad upper respiratory virus that left him with an extremely high (like, almost having to go the the hospital high) fever for four days. I think the doctors really thought he had pneumonia so he was sent for chest x-rays but thankfully his lungs were clear. Since then we have all had the cold virus again and the boys have another one now plus a nasty, lingering cough that they just can't kick. My mom was hospitalized for a few days a couple weeks ago due to a bad case of pneumonia. I am so thankful she is recovering well now. Needless to say, I am over these Winter germs and am more than ready for spring. However, God continues to give me perspective and I am made aware that these little health concerns are nothing in comparison to what some people go through. Our friends just lost their 4.5 month old baby yesterday. She had Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome and her almost five months of life was nothing short of a miracle. Her heart was actually strong when she took her last breath yesterday, but she had sudden bleeding in her brain that ended up taking her life. Would y'all please join me in praying for Matt, Lisa and big sister Brenna? It's hard to understand the WHY sometimes but what I do know is that God is good and He doesn't change and I just have to cling to that.

On a lighter note, we enjoyed the snow we got two weeks ago. It wasn't as much as they predicted but it was plenty for playing in and enjoying the view. Daddy was off work for almost a week and we soaked up some good quality time as a family. Walker wasn't a fan of the snow. I think it was more that he didn't like all the layers he had to wear and not being able to walk in it very well. But Gray could have stayed outside all day, every day. He cried when it melted and is still asking me when it will snow again. 







It's been nice for this type A girl to be back in the swing of our normal routine after the big snow. This past Sunday Paul's dad was inducted into the Field of Honor, which is like the hall of fame for high school coaches. He is retiring this year from teaching and 25 years of coaching. He has pretty much coaches every high school sport but soccer has been his biggest passion. The ceremony was in Raleigh so it was an all day event. We let Gray go but Walker man would not have been able to hang so my mom and Gram kept him all day. Gray was the BEST boy the entire day. People complimented him and then joked with us about what kind of sedative we'd given him. He really is a very well behaved little boy but he was on his very best that day I was so proud of him. Maybe a little too proud because the second his feet hit the floor Monday morning, it was on and brother followed right behind him. It was like I didn't even know whose children they were. It was one of the hardest, worst days I've had yet as a Mama. God sure has a way of keeping us humble, doesn't He?! ;)




On a totally unrelated note, for the few of my blog readers who don't already knows I am going back to Kenya! It will be my FIFTH time and I leave in just six weeks. It's a much shorter trip than any I've been on before and I'm so glad because I could already cry at the thought of leaving my boys for over a week. Yes I'm nervous to leave my family and travel that far, but I don't think God leaves "parents of young children" off of His list when He calls those to missions. So I'm going and trusting in His provision and care for my family while I'm gone and for me as I travel. I would covet your prayers for us as I prepare to go and while I'm gone. 

Despite some really challenging days as a stay at home mom, we seem to be in a "sweet spot" for the most part and I am reminded daily of why the 15-24 months age is my most favorite. Walker is talking so much and soaking every little thing in. He keeps us laughing so hard and I could just squeeze him right up and kiss his cheeks off every second of the day. And Gray is the sweetest boy y'all. He has the most kind and gentle spirit and he just melts my heart. He definitely has his moments of selfishness, but then on his very own can be so selfless. The other day Paul took him to get a hair cut. There was a long wait so they walked next door to get a milkshake. Paul asked him what kind he wanted and he said, "you can pick today, Daddy!" Then Paul told him he could have the last couple sips before it was gone and he said, "no, I think we should save it for Walker." Those sweet moments are the ones we cling to when we are having our bad days. 

I really am just so happy I get to be these precious boys' Mama. So I may not have the time to stop and write down all the things we're doing and the funny and sweet things they say, but I'm trying to soak in the moments and not take a second of them for granted. 

But maybe, just maybe, I'll blog more than once in February!

No comments:

Post a Comment