We found Gray's birthday shirt and party hat on Etsy. He refused to keep the hat on for the picture Lindsey took for the invitation but we did manage to get a few of it on at the party and for his one year photo shoot (hopefully it won't be another month before I post about that). We also found the invitation template on Etsy and just had them printed at Staple's. The picture quality did not turn out good at all once they were printed (you can't tell that here) but other than that I was very happy with them.
I had a really hard time deciding on a time for the party. We couldn't afford to feed everyone dinner and I knew whatever afternoon time we picked would be during someone's nap time so we decided on 3:00-5:00. My friend Kristen had a great idea of putting the cake cutting time on the invite so people could come then if they couldn't make it to the whole party. Apparently RSVPing is a thing of the past so it was hard to know how much food and cupcakes to have. Some of our closest friends were out of town and couldn't make the party but that's just life and we were thrilled to have been able to celebrate with the number of people we did.
We originally wanted to have the party at our house but we wouldn't have had room for even 10 people so we decided to rent a room at our church (free for members). The only room they allow birthday parties for kids is really old and really ugly. So we did the best with what we had to make it cute. Paul and I decorated the night before and I am so glad we did because it took us a couple of hours and the day of the party still didn't leave one extra second. Kristen made a Happy Birthday banner to match and I made a collage in the shape of a '1', along with a banner of pictures from each month of Gray in his first year. Lindsey's boys happen to have about a hundred John Deere tractors and they were very generous to let us borrow them for decorations and for the kids to play with at the party. My good friend Ashley also had some awesome JD tractors that we borrowed too. Other than that, most everything else was bought online. All of the food and drinks had a tractor or farm theme and Paul actually found all of those ideas online (not Pinterest if you can believe that). I love how involved and excited Paul always is when it comes to this kind of thing! The labels we used for the food were from the same Etsy store that we got his invitations printed. They were flat cards so I just taped a folded index card to the back so they would stand up. I found some cake ideas on Pinterest and Abbie worked her magic. We decided to just do a small smash cake for Gray and cupcakes for everyone else. The birthday boy was in a foul mood on party day. Something outside woke him up from his nap and he was ready for another one about the time we were walking out of the door. But it was his party and he was gonna cry if he wanted to.
I'll let the pictures speak for most of the rest.
| The hay bales were rice krispy treats; the haystacks got gone quick and didn't make it into the picture ;) |
| Chips and salsa, hummus and veggie dip |
| Fresh farm produce, right out of the back of a John Deere! |
| A taste of the south-sweet tea! |
| Water trough |
I didn't get a picture of the party favors either but we gave out John Deere balloons and JD stickers.
| One great thing about the ugly room was that it opened to a gym so there was plenty of room for tractor riding, basketball and running around. |
| Mommy and Daddy even wore the party colors! |
| Thanks Lindsey for capturing the few smiles he managed to give us that day :) |
| And the sweet kisses in between tantrums |
There were many mixed emotions about the cake...
![]() |
| From "I'm so excited I want to pick the whole thing up and eat it!"... |
| To... "I'm not real sure about this." |
![]() |
| "I'm a sweet boy again." |
| "Don't you touch my cake. I don't want it but I don't want you to have it either!" |
| "I warned you-don't touch my cake!" |
| "Seriously guys, what is this? Couldn't you have put black olives on the top instead?" |
| "Yay! I've decided I'm a sweet boy again and I like cake!" |
| "And now I'll even share with Mama!" |
| "And now I'm officially over it and I want down; there are tractors to be played with!" |



No comments:
Post a Comment