This time last year I was super preggo and Paul surprised me with the sweetest card and a gift. I didn't really feel like a mom yet though so I considered this year as my first "real" Mother's Day. I told Paul I didn't want anything except for a weekend with my boys and no plans. We soaked up some good quality time, just the three of us. Paul couldn't resist some surprises though. We had a delicious meal Saturday night of filet mignon, shrimp and sweet potatoes.

No lie, it was the best tasting steak I have ever had in my life. There is a fresh meat market right down the street from our house and we often hit up their specials because the meat is soooo much better! I also got a huge bouquet of Asiatic lilies, one of my most favorite flowers.

I have enjoyed watching them bloom all week.

But the most special part of Mother's Day was waking up to this

Though I didn't ask for it, I hoped so bad that Gray would "make" me something. I wanted to get his hand prints when he was born and we never did it so this couldn't be more perfect. Paul did such a good job making this with Gray and I already treasure it so much!! The first one they made got a tiny crack in it when it dried so they even made me another one. It is seriously one of the sweetest things I own.
On Sunday we went to church, in which Gray dressed appropriately for the occasion.

We kept Gray with us during the worship time of service. We've been doing this some because we want him to get used to it and we love worshipping as a family. He has to go to his class afterwards though because he would be too much of a distraction for us and everyone else. We missed three weeks in a row of Bible Fellowship (Sunday school) class so even though the crowd was small, we really enjoyed the study and fellowship. Gray was extra excited to see us when we got to his room to pick him up. Perhaps it was because he'd made me this...
 |
| This would have been the first time Gray ever held a marker. And I'm pretty sure there was more on his hands than on this bookmark. |
After church we got lunch for my mom and Gram and visited with them and my brother for a while. Late that afternoon when Gray woke up from his nap we strolled up to TCBY where they were giving free yogurt to all moms. Holler!
I certainly had a wonderful first Mother's Day but even before Gray was born, I've always had somewhat of a heavy heart on this specific holiday. I can't help but think of those who have lost their mom or who have a strained relationship with their mom. And now that I am a mama, I couldn't help but be broken hearted thinking about those who desperately want to be a mama but can't be or aren't yet. It sure makes me even more humbled and thankful for the blessings of two wonderful mothers (mine and Mom Hicks) and a precious little miracle that I get to call my son.
 |
| The sweetest Mother's Day sugar that I didn't even have to ask for! |
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone
No comments:
Post a Comment