Thursday, December 4, 2014

Walker-6 months

Welp, our sweet boy was half a year old on Saturday. He had his six month well check on Monday. Despite some major concerns with eating (more on that in a minute), he is growing and we are thankful for a healthy baby!






Measurements-
Weight-16 pounds, 11 ounces (33rd %tile). At 6 months Gray weighed 17 pounds, 1 ounce (42nd %tile).
Length- 27 and 1/4 inches (75th %tile). Gray had the exact same length measurement at 6 months!
Head-17 and 1/2 inches (82 %tile), which is also exactly what big brother's was at 6 months.
Wears mostly 9 month clothes, size 2 diapers

Eating Habits-I mentioned in the 5 month post that Walker was getting hard to nurse again because he was so distracted and interested in everything going on around him. Well that got significantly worse over the last month. He was already nursing less and less and then he got sick and literally only took a few ounces a day for over a week. Once he was feeling better and still not nursing or taking a bottle well, I got concerned. One night he slept 11 straight hours and I had already pumped when he woke up so I could tell how much he would drink and he only took ONE ounce! So I called the doctor and he wanted to see him that day. The doctor and I were both shocked to see that he weighed 16 pounds, 13 ounces (which was 42% and he was 38th % at 4 months). I had been giving him a lot of oatmeal with breast milk mixed in and that must have been helping a lot. After talking to the doctor about him seeming uninterested in nursing and taking a bottle and his physical exam checking out fine, he said he really thought it was just related to his swallowing dysfunction. You can imagine my surprise to him saying that since his swallowing test that he had done at Brenner's several months ago showed everything was "fine." To make a long story short, although he was not aspirating (milk going into his lungs), the test did show some mild swallowing dysfunctions. They told us at the hospital that day that everything was fine and the problems must be just from his bad reflux. So when the pediatrician's office called me a few days after the test to ask me if I wanted them to go over the results I told them no. I never asked for a copy of the report because we were told everything was fine. Needless to say I wasn't a very happy mama. It's my own fault for not getting the report but I trusted what they told us at Brenner's that day. Anyway, there isn't anything we can do about that now and it probably wouldn't have changed what we could have done over the last couple of months, other than help me not to worry about him as much. Our pediatrician said babies with swallowing issues tend to start drinking less and less between 4-6 months but will usually eat solids well, which he certainly does. He should grow out of it around a year but he told me not to expect him to drink very well before then. Of course a couple of days after that appointment he started nursing a lot better again but when we went to the doctor on Monday he had actually lost two ounces, which completely baffled the doctor and me. I think I am going to start adding some formula to his oatmeal and a scoop when he gets a bottle to add some extra calories. He goes back in 30 days for his second round flu shot and a weight check.

Because of his eating issues, Walker really isn't on a set eating schedule. He eats oatmeal and other solids three times a day and I pretty much offer nursing feedings to him before and after every nap. He could eat oatmeal and fruit all day long but isn't too wild about most veggies, although after I keep trying for a few minutes he does get them down. He still takes his Prevacid but we are hoping to try taking him of soon.

And I'm sure by now only my mom and Gram are still reading this but I am happy to report that I've added dairy back into my diet (slowly but surely) and it hasn't bothered Walker. Praise the Lord!!

Sleeping Habits-3-4 naps a day, sleeping anywhere from 1-3 hours. He goes to bed around 7:30, usually sleeps at least 9-10 straight hours at night waking between 4:00-6:00 to eat and will usually go right back to sleep until around 7:00/7:30. Still takes an occasional nap in his swing and falls asleep pretty easily in the car.

Milestones/New Discoveries-Sitting up and first tooth! One of his bottom teeth finally broke through the skin last week and I imagine the other one is close behind. He is babbling more and more and I just love his sweet little voice. He is really reaching and grabbing for things. Wearing jewelry and my hair down are things of the past. He pushes up on his arms and is already trying to crawl. If he keeps this up I think he will be crawling before Gray did, which was at 8 months. Walker is also really starting to respond to his name and gets excited when we praise and/or clap for him. He also does this new thing where he smiles really big and buries his sweet little face in my neck or shoulder when Daddy talks to him-it is sooooo stinkin cute!!

Temperament/Mood-Happy most of the time these days, especially if we are out and about. He smiles at everybody and people tell me I have such a happy baby, which is something I wondered if I would ever hear. He gets pretty cranky after 5:00 or so when the witching hour sets in. No matter how late he has napped, he just is so tired and can't hang very happily. His teeth have given some fussy moments too but he is happy more than not and I am so thankful for that!!

Likes-LOVES his big brother, sitting up, his feet, grabbing at my face, Sophie, exersaucer, jumper, the bath, his mobile, crawl ball, his Sophie giraffe, toys with buttons and lights, being read to, watching us clap and hearing us praise him and get excited for him

One might think he was teething on his brother's face but this was definitely a kiss ;)






Dislikes-he gets really ticked when solid feedings are over (I think he would eat until he made himself sick if I would let him), being put in his car seat (though thankfully he is still happy once we get going), being tired, those mean 'ol teeth

Special memories-Going to Boone for Thanksgiving and picking out our Christmas tree.
I really can't imagine our lives without sweet Walker and can't wait to watch him continue to grow.

1 comment:

  1. Alison, I still follow your blog :) I love reading to see how your little family is doing!! Miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete